Sunday, March 14, 2010

Kissing Away the Hurt

As our kids grow, they encounter illness, stitches, broken bones, displaced elbows, chicken pox, and lots of other such lovely things.

Well, at least if you are MY kids.

Those are easily fixed. Lots of money changes hands, threads stitched, colorful casts made, creams given….and you’re all set.

And kisses from mommy always help.

But what do you do when the hurt is on the inside? How do you fix that?

Toss in a mom who is trying desperately to balance the needs of teens with little ones….and you’ve got a mess.

My big girl is struggling. Not with academics….all A’s right now. But struggling with roommates, living spaces, being apart from best friends, missing the boyfriend, not feeling special,....... and the list goes on.

I love when she comes home because we can talk for real. Trying to talk via email, text, or even phone just doesn’t cut it.

How do I help? What can I do to ease the pain? Barbie band-aids just don't work right now.

I remember being her age and struggling too. One of my best memories of college was when my mom came up for the day and brought me a pillow she made that said….

You are Special

I still cry just thinking about that day.

Not sure my mom even knows that.

My baby is not feeling special, feeling lost, and drifting. And I can’t help her. It makes me sad.

How I wish I could sprinkle some pixie dust and make everything okay. Wouldn’t that be wonderful?

If you have pixie dust you can share, please mail it to me.

I hate not being able to kiss away the hurt.

6 comments:

Teresa said...

Oh, Kristin, I know how you feel...and I ache for you and your teenager! Meggie is apparently a bit precocious in this area...she's only a junior in high school and suffering through the same things. At least she's still sleeping down the hall...and has NO intentions of heading out of town for College the year after next.

Being a nurse, I feel the same as you...give me something physical, I'll help 'em deal with it. But the heartbreaks and insecurities...

Hang in there!

Teresa =)

Missy said...

I just stumbled upon your blog and was immediately drawn to your post. I remember feeling that way in college, as well. Such a hard time. Do you still have the pillow your mom gave to you? If not, maybe you could get one made for her and do the same gesture. She sounds like a special girl and you are obviously an amazing mommy.
Pixie dust would help to cure so much...sigh !

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Oh Kristin... being a Tink fan since I was 10 years ago... I say 'Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust' - so, there is your Pixie Dust...
Hope your baby starts to feel special soon... hugs to her and you...

a Tonggu Momma said...

One year my mom sent a care package filled with my favorites, some old family photos and some calling cards so I could chat with old high school friends. I don't know if that would help, but I remember feeling her love even though I was 800 miles away. (((hugs)))

Donna said...

So sorry that she's dealing with so much...my 14 year old is dealing with some big issues too...I just told Randy tonight that (though we didn't know it) the toddler years WERE easy.
Hang in there, and keep being there for her like you are - it's wonderful that she's sharing her heart struggles with you.
Donna

NeuroMama said...

I'd be willing to bet that knowing she can always call, e-mail, or text you comforts her more than you can even imagine. The two of you seem like you've always had a very close, happy relationship. Sometimes though, this is just something she'll have to figure out for herself. And, once she does, she'll have achieved a whole other level of self confidence and "grownup-edness." Could you swing a special day with her in Atlanta, just the two of you? That might go a long way toward easing both of your stresses. What a great mom you are, juggling so much and being so in tune with your big and little kids.

Raine